Students from development countries
1) Each year the Flemish Inter-University Council (VLIR UOS) grants 10 ICP PhD scholarships to promising graduates of VLIR-sponsored post-graduate programmes, among them the 3 IOB Master programmes. The scholarship is awarded for 4 years (2x2), for research topics relevant to development. Students conduct research both at their local institution (2/3) and at the Flemish university (1/3) (“sandwich” principle).
You can apply for the scholarship:
- If you have graduated from one of the 15 VLIR-sponsored Master programmes offered at different Flemish universities (including the 3 English Master programmes offered at IOB) less than 5 years before the start of the scholarship
- If you have graduated with at least the grade of distinction
- If you are a national of a developing country on the VLIR UOS country list (attached) and resident in a developing country on the day of application
- If you are not more then 40 years old on the day of submitting the application
- If you have not received a PhD scholarship in the past
More information (application procedure, eligibility criteria, forms,..) : Inge Caenen (ICOS) – International Relations office – firstname.lastname@example.org - 03/220 4800 or http://www.vliruos.be/ or www.ua.ac.be/international.
PhD VLIR Call
2) BTC is the Belgian agency for development cooperation. Belgian Technical Cooperation manages the scholarships and the traineeships granted by the Directorate-general for Development Cooperation (DGDC).
Each year, the DGDC awards a number of scholarships, and this exclusively in the partner countries and to the exclusion of any other country. The DGDC does not award scholarships to Belgian citizens who wish to study abroad.
The scholarship files are selected in the field; therefore all candidates interested by a scholarship should send their application form directly to the Attaché for Development Cooperation or to the Embassy of Belgium in the partner country. Only these authorities can deliver the necessary application forms.
More information (application procedure, eligibility criteria, forms,..) can be found on the BTC website
All information on VLADOC scholarships can be found on the following website
(information only available in Dutch).